We are lucky ducks!
I am thrilled to welcome Dr. Robert Rosenthal (aka Dr. Bob) to the show! In today’s episode we are discussing special versus holy relationships, a central teaching in A Course in Miracles (ACIM).
Dr. Bob plays a very important role in the Course in Miracles community. He is the co-President of the Foundation for Inner Peace, the authorized publisher of the most widely distributed edition of ACIM. Dr. Bob was a psychiatrist in New Jersey for many years before semi-retiring and taking on his role with the Foundation in California.
You might recognize Dr. Bob’s name because it is on the cover of my book! He wrote the beautiful foreword.
In this episode, Dr. Bob shares some insights and examples about special versus holy relationships and we dive into the content in his latest book, From Loving One to One Love: Transforming Relationships through A Course in Miracles.
Tune in here:
Love the podcast?
Please consider leaving a review on Apple Podcasts! I read every single review. Here is a thank you present for taking the time to do so. 💖
ABOUT DR. BOB ROSENTHAL:
Robert Rosenthal, M.D. is co-president of the Foundation for Inner Peace, authorized publisher of A Course in Miracles, having served on the Foundation’s Board of Directors since 1993. He was introduced to the Course in 1975 at the age of 20 by Judith Skutch Whitson and became a close friend and protégé of its co-scribe, Bill Thetford. He is the author of From Never-Mind to Ever-Mind: Transforming the Self to Embrace Miracles and From Loving One to One Love: Transforming Relationships Through A Course in Miracles—the first two volumes of a five book series devoted to understanding the core principles of A Course in Miracles. His first book, From Plagues to Miracles: The Transformational Journey of Exodus, From the Slavery of Ego to the Promised Land of Spirit (Hay House, 2012), offers a groundbreaking reinterpretation of the story of Moses and Pharaoh as a parable of the spiritual journey back to God. His many talks and interviews as well as book samples can be accessed from his website, DrBob-Author.com and from his YouTube channel, RobertRosenthalMD.
Dr. Rosenthal is also a semi-retired board-certified psychiatrist and psychotherapist with over thirty years experience helping individuals and couples. He held the rank of Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the U.C. San Francisco School of Medicine and Hahnemann University (now Drexel) in Philadelphia.
We covered so much ground! It is so hard to pick just a few takeaways so here are some of my favorites:
- A Course in Miracles is about healing through relationships. I love how Dr. Bob said, “You can’t find oneness as an individual self because you’re not an individual self.” So ACIM isn’t just about waking yourself up, it’s about waking up THROUGH relationships. To be honest with you, that’s something I didn’t realize for a long time but it is TRUE!
- Romantic love hasn’t always been! So imagine how the future may be. I found it fascinating that the notion of romantic love began in the Middle Ages. This makes me think of our evolution. If the idea of romantic love is relatively new, and yet it is accepted as normal nowadays, imagine what we might accept as “normal” down the road. For instance, imagine a worldwide recognition that healing comes from the mind (maybe looking back and laughing that we thought the body could be sick!). Maybe there will be widespread acceptance that miracles really ARE natural, and that we have the power to heal the sick and raise the dead. Just imagine!
- Learn the Holy Relationship. How to learn holy relationship? I love how Dr. Bob said to “find blocks and remove them.” Since we don’t know how to do this– we give it to the Holy Spirit. Our intention to do this opens the door. I also love how he said, “Do nothing undo everything.”
- Address Shame. This is my BIGGEST takeaway from this episode. ACIM talks about guilt often and yet doesn’t talk about shame. Dr. Bob made a very good point that at the time of the scribing of the Course, shame was not a concept widely discussed in the psychology field, which is why it is not in ACIM. But we DO carry shame for believing that we (seemingly) separated from God. Not only do we need to address unconscious guilt (that we DID something bad for separating), but we also need to address our shame (that we ARE something bad for separating). The truth is we haven’t separated from God. There’s no cause for guilt or shame. The importance of asking HS for help in exposing and healing our sense of shame cannot be underestimated.
- Dr. Bob Rosenthal’s book From Loving One to One Love: Transforming Relationships Through A Course in Miracles
- Dr. Bob’s website DrBob-Author.com
- The Foundation for Inner Peace website
JOIN ME IN LOS ANGELES:
- This will be my 4th time speaking in the Community Miracles Center International ACIM Conference and I hope you can come! It is Memorial Day Weekend in May 2020. Learn more about the conference at https://fromanxietytolove.com/acimconference
Let us know your takeaways from this episode! Please leave your comment below or in our Facebook Group.