In today’s episode I have such a beautiful conversation with Rev. Tony about mental health issues. We’ve both seen the depths of the ego’s despair and the Course has been our pathway out of suffering. His message is one of hope and love.
About Reverend Tony Ponticello:
Rev. Tony Ponticello has served as the Executive Minister of the Community Miracles Center (CMC) since he cofounded it in 1987. Rev. Tony teaches many classes in A Course In Miracles, writes and is the Editor of the CMC’s paper publication Miracles Monthly, lectures regularly and runs the large international ACIM conference. The next one is coming up in Feb. 2018 in San Francsico!
Rev. Tony’s Takeaway:
You are not alone and there is nothing to be ashamed of. We’re all in this together and we are healing together. There is a very strong temptation to feel like mental illness is a private thing happening to only you, but it’s not. Millions and millions of people struggle. We will all heal together.
Here are some of my favorite takeaways from Reverend Tony’s message:
- You’ve come through challenging times before. You’ll do it again. “I can stand in the terror. I’ve stood in it before.” Keep moving forward one step at a time the best you can.
- You CAN develop the abilities you need. When in a severe episode everything seems impossible. But even though it’s impossible from where you stand NOW, you can develop the abilities that you need with the Holy Spirit’s help to get out of that situation. You have to command yourself to listen to your guide.
- There is wisdom within you even in your worst times. The Holy Spirit NEVER leaves you.
- Psychological setbacks are inevitable. We can see them as opportunities to grow and practice the miracle working skills we are learning through the Course.
- Don’t be tempted to abandon holy spirit at the “outside ring of fear” (ACIM FIP T-18.IX.3). Fear is temptation to turn away from truth and pump belief into what seems very real. Hold tight to the Holy Spirit and know that you will get through this. Mental health issues can be tough, but through the Course we have tools that work.
- Community Miracles Center Website (Rev. Tony’s Website)
- Discount tickets to the San Francisco International ACIM Conference (purchase through Miracle Share and this link for the lowest price around). https://fromanxietytolove.com/cmc
Suicide Prevention Resources:
- If you or someone you know is ever in need of immediate assistance, please call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- In the United States call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or visit https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
- Outside of the United States visit the International Association for Suicide Prevention: http://www.iasp.info